Walk-up data acquisition is built upon two pillars:
1) Physical proximity to the product, provided by the customer themselves or a field service technician.
2) Mobile invocation. A mobile support app is a very convenient vehicle for accessing data. It is easy to distribute, provides a high degree of security, and is easy to use. RevTwo uses mobile apps to provide walk-up data acquisition.
Walk-up data acquisition is ideal in situations where the physical product does not have access to the Internet, because it is in a secure environment, or because Internet access is not built into the product.
In a walk-up scenario, product data can be obtained in one of three ways.
Ad-hoc data access works by forming a transient connection to the product itself. The underlying communication technology for these transient connections is usually Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, but other mechanisms could be developed. The general process is to:
1) Identify the connection available for a particular product
2) Form a secure connection to the product
3) Request diagnostic information via that secure connection
4) Obtain that diagnostic information
5) Shut down the connection
6) Use the information to perform an AI analysis
Ad-hoc networking made easy for the user
RevTwo has tuned the workflow for data acquisition to make the formation of a secure ad hoc connection as fast and painless as possible for the user requesting it, typically the customer themselves or the field service technician. While we support many mechanisms for connection identification, our preferred method is as follows:
1) Optional: Place product in troubleshoot mode, enabling communication
2) Launch the mobile app on your phone and go to troubleshoot mode.
3) Scan a QR code, barcode, or enter product identifying information that can be used to identify the product, its location, and its communication access requirements.
4) Optional: Provide identifying information to the cloud to access the secure credentials for this unique installation of the product. RevTwo has a standard mechanism for fielding these requests, but it is expected that the credentials are maintained by the product manufacturer.
5) Upon receipt of the secure credentials, form the connection and request diagnostic data. This scenario expects that the product has a channel that can be connected to, such as a Wi-Fi hotspot.
6) End the connection
7) Review the collected information and submit it to the RevTwo AI for analysis
The user simply scans a QR code – everything else happens automatically
Via Visual Data Acquisition
In some situations, product communication via ad-hoc networking is just not possible. These situations include high-security environments, mobile devices, and products that don’t include networking support. RevTwo can still get diagnostic data from many of these products by using visual data acquisition. Visual data acquisition takes two primary forms:
1) A QR code generated at the product itself that encodes diagnostic data
2) A picture of the product’s error codes or output
Diagnostic QR Code
A diagnostic QR Code is a RevTwo innovation for data acquisition. Unlike the typical QR code that is statically generated, printed and posted on a product, a diagnostic QR code is created as it is needed. The RevTwo Product Extension is able to generate this QR code from a diagnostic data set, that can include hundreds, even thousands of elements. So a product with a display screen can, without network connectivity, visually pass information to a support technician or a user with a mobile app.
The typical method is as follows:
1) Place the product in troubleshoot mode causing the product to gather diagnostic data and present it on the product’s user interface. This process is done by the RevTwo product extension.
a. High-resolution QR codes can contain high volumes of information, into the thousands of data items.
b. This mechanism requires that the product has a screen.
2) From the support mobile app, select troubleshooting mode and use the built-in QR scanner to read the diagnostic QR code off the product.
3) Review the collected information and submit it to the RevTwo AI for analysis
When a user interface is not available on the product, a simple picture of products status indicators or output can provide the information necessary to identify the root cause. RevTwo supports this type of data both diagnostically and via a training set. The workflow for utilizing a picture to diagnose a product is similar to that of the workflow for a Diagnostic QR code with a couple of notable exceptions.
1) The product does not require any modifications
2) Point, snap, and submit – it’s that easy.